Thursday, March 12, 2015

The arrival of Wesley Blake!

     I have this photography bucket list I put together months ago, you can see it HERE. One of the items on that list is to photograph the birth of a baby. Not the actual exit, but the before and after. Lucky for me, my long time friend Abby was pregnant and said I was welcome to photograph her labor and delivery! 

I got the text about 1:30am on February 23rd, she was in labor, but she wanted me to wait til she got there and got checked to see if it was really go time. Around 4:00 I got a text from her that she had gotten her epidural. I didn't wait for the next text, I grabbed my camera bag and hopped in the car and headed for the hospital! 

When I arrived Abby's room was already filled with her family, they haven't missed a birth yet I heard! There supporting her were her husband, mom, dad, husband's mom and dad, her 3 sisters, and niece and me!

I found a spot in the corner and got to work. 

Around noon there was still no baby, so Abby was resting the best she could for a little bit. That's when the story derails a little. A nurse came over the intercom and asked if there was an Angel Kincaid in the room (me), and that she had a phone call from my husband at the front desk. I ran up there and got on the phone, and on the other end was my husband, he was in an ambulance on his way to the hospital because a tire had blown up in his face while working on it. That's all I needed to hear. I love Abby, and I love taking photos, but not more than my husband. So I ran back to her room, frantically packed my camera up while trying to explain what was going on to her family. Then I ran out of her room, telling her how sorry I was that I was gonna miss it! 

Long story short, Abby delivered a beautiful baby boy about an hour after I left. Wesley Blake Hovis 

was 7lb1oz and 21 1/2 inches long

And after 11 stitches, lots of bumps, bruises and burns, one week of strict bed rest and one week of light work duty. My husband is ok. He is gonna have some permanent cool looking scars. But he's alive, thank god. 

As for the photos, I got to photograph the labor part, I had actually stopped taking photos about 30 min before I left cause the hospital didn't allow photos during the actual delivery. I didn't feel like the story would be worth sharing with just the first part. So I got permission from her sisters and niece to use the photos they took after Wesley arrived and I put together this slideshow. It's almost 10 min long, but I didn't want to leave anything out! 

It took almost 2 weeks before I had some free time to actually go over and meet Wesley for the first time. I kept saying how I couldn't believe how close I was to meeting him in the hospital and then had to wait 2 weeks to actually see him in person. He was worth the wait, let me tell you. So tiny and sweet, and smelled just heavenly. I went over to Abby and Daniel's house to meet him, and visit with everyone. But I did bring my camera along and snap a few photos! I couldn't resist! You'll see those photos at the end of the slide show.

Enjoy!




    
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
This free photo slideshow generated with Smilebox


To see more of my work, or booking, you can visit my facebook page HERE

As always you can like, comment, and subscribe to follow this blog! 

No comments:

Post a Comment